I'm a double cancer survivor, cyclist and walker who does various challenges for different charities, mainly cancer-related.

In 2016 I climbed every single 'Birkett' in the Lake District - all 542 fells over 1,000' within the National Park, including all 214 Wainwrights. I've also done a three-week cycle tour of Tasmania in February 2015 and amongst other things, I've cycled from Land's End to John o'Groats (2003), Rotterdam to Lemvig (Denmark) (2005), walked the Pennine Way (2008) completed (my first) ascent of all 214 'Wainwrights' in the Lake District in only 55 days (2009), cycled 4,500 miles around the coast of Great Britain (2011), cycled all 42 of the accessible Western Isles of Scotland in under a month (2012), twice abseiled 230 ft from the top of The Big One in Blackpool, cycled the WWI Western Front from London to Compiegne via Ypres and Arras (2014), cycled 750 miles in the Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton (2014), done a bit of sky-diving and cycled Australia's Great Ocean Road - just before lockdown in 2020.

Altogether I've raised over £120,000 for my charities including The Christie, Cancer Research UK, the Rosemere Cancer Foundation, and ABF (The Soldiers' Charity) and I was mightily chuffed to receive the British Empire Medal in the 2014 New Year's Honours List.

I'm a Rotarian and give illustrated talks about my adventures in exchange for a donation to charity, so if you're looking for a speaker leave me a message. I am also Event Organiser for the Ribble Valley Ride Cycle Sportive, to be held this year on Sunday 5 September 2021 - more details at www.ribblevalleyride.org

You can also follow me on Twitter - @CancerBikeMan and on Facebook - just search for Bill Honeywell

Cancer Research UK is the world's leading charity dedicated to beating cancer through research, whilst The Rosemere does fantastic work for patients in Lancashire and South Cumbria.

Sunday 8 March 2015

Cycle Tour of Tasmania – February 2015

Day 10 - Hobart in the rain
Lots of colonial-style buildings in the state capital

Saturday 14 February was scheduled as a 'rest day' to explore Hobart, and with perfect timing it rained most of the day. At least there would be opportunities to shelter, which you don't get whilst out on the bike.



Salamanca market is a big open air affair down near the harbour. Hundreds of stalls selling lots of things from unashamed rubbish to nicely crafted jewellery, lots of handicrafts, art, food of all sorts, plus entertainment in the form of a live band or two and a couple of buskers. I had a wander round but to be honest, open air markets aren't the kind of thing to float my boat. What was more interesting was the collection of vintage and 'special interest' cars in the adjacent park. Not many, but the red MG 1300 reminded me of John Cleese manically thrashing the bonnet of a similar car during an episode of Fawlty Towers; the Alvis with its straight-6 engine had me wondering how anyone managed to balance all three SU carburettors, and the JPS Lotus Europa was just sublime.

For our younger readers, this is the MG1300...

...and this is the Lotus Europa. No prizes for guessing which one I prefer

Beaujangles Cafe in the central arcade was ideal for a light lunch, then off to the Tasmania Museum for an afternoon shelter from the rain. Helen was there and recommended it highly. Lots of natural history displays, including a room about the extinct (or is it?) Tasmanian Tiger, known as the Thylacine. I also liked the architectural work around the entrance and staircase.


Lovely designs


The Thylacine is thought to have been extinct for decades, but some folks aren't convinced

Then a gentle amble around the port...

Old...

...new

Rhapsody of the Seas in Hobart Harbour
I got back and fitted my shiny new seat bolt to the bike. Our evening meal was problematical again, as tonight was Valentines Day (yes, I DID send some flowers to Val. Virtual flowers I know, but that way I could send more and they were in better condition when they arrived). We managed to find a table for four (me, Richard, John H and Valerie) at a nearby Italian restaurant which was very good.

(Was it here, or somewhere else, where I saw an advertising sign which read "SPECIAL OFFER - 20% off your meal price on Valentine's Day! 4 persons minimum." Kinda defeats the object, don't you think?)


I'm a hopeless romantic. These are the flowers I sent to Val. ALL of them. Via my iPhone ;-)
Tomorrow we turn north and head up the east coast to Triabunna.

PS To avoid any confusion, Valerie on the cycle tour is not the same person as my good lady wife Val, who bravely stayed at home during my three-week sojourn to the Antipodes. Just in case you were wondering.


1 comment: