I'm a double cancer survivor, cyclist and walker who does various challenges for different charities, mainly cancer-related.

In 2016 I climbed every single 'Birkett' in the Lake District - all 542 fells over 1,000' within the National Park, including all 214 Wainwrights. I've also done a three-week cycle tour of Tasmania in February 2015 and amongst other things, I've cycled from Land's End to John o'Groats (2003), Rotterdam to Lemvig (Denmark) (2005), walked the Pennine Way (2008) completed (my first) ascent of all 214 'Wainwrights' in the Lake District in only 55 days (2009), cycled 4,500 miles around the coast of Great Britain (2011), cycled all 42 of the accessible Western Isles of Scotland in under a month (2012), twice abseiled 230 ft from the top of The Big One in Blackpool, cycled the WWI Western Front from London to Compiegne via Ypres and Arras (2014), cycled 750 miles in the Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton (2014), done a bit of sky-diving and cycled Australia's Great Ocean Road - just before lockdown in 2020.

Altogether I've raised over £120,000 for my charities including The Christie, Cancer Research UK, the Rosemere Cancer Foundation, and ABF (The Soldiers' Charity) and I was mightily chuffed to receive the British Empire Medal in the 2014 New Year's Honours List.

I'm a Rotarian and give illustrated talks about my adventures in exchange for a donation to charity, so if you're looking for a speaker leave me a message. I am also Event Organiser for the Ribble Valley Ride Cycle Sportive, to be held this year on Sunday 5 September 2021 - more details at www.ribblevalleyride.org

You can also follow me on Twitter - @CancerBikeMan and on Facebook - just search for Bill Honeywell

Cancer Research UK is the world's leading charity dedicated to beating cancer through research, whilst The Rosemere does fantastic work for patients in Lancashire and South Cumbria.

Monday 9 May 2011

Almost the Beginning of the...Beginning

Just time for a final blog. We were hoping to have everything stowed in the motorhome by now but due to various hitches I won't bother you with, it's not here. Nothing wrong with it, nothing to jeopardise the trip, but it won't be back here until after 10pm and then we have to get it all loaded up. Not ideal, but hey!

Once we've done that we'll grab a few hours sleep before making our way to Clitheroe Castle Gates at 8.00 am tomorrow morning. But wait - another exciting development - almost as exciting as Carol Vorderman following me on Twitter (and if you want to know how I know Carol Vorderman and you don't already know, you'll have to sponsor me) - I am about to be tracked.

I shall now have a tracker with me - so you will be able to follow me in real time and see exactly where I am.  This isn't too restrictive as I wasn't expecting to get up to any hanky-panky on this trip to be honest.  We're going to check that it works properly tomorrow and if so I'll post the details of how you can log in, see where I am and where I've been.  Watch this space.

Right!  Perhaps I should grab a couple of hours sleep now before the motorhome comes back...

1 comment:

  1. Matt Khan-Dyer10 May 2011 at 11:53

    Hi Bill would be great to track you. Its the only way I could follow you around britain. Right two very unfunny puns and first of many bad jokes so the wind and rain wont be the worst most painful thing on your journey. Your blog/twitter from silver Dale shouldn't that be from silver Bill Ha ha (no.... your right that is very bad) not as bad as this one. Ok.....how about Honeywell tracker sounds like the bar......almost all nuts. Very sorry.

    ReplyDelete