I'm a double cancer survivor, cyclist and walker who does various challenges for different charities, mainly cancer-related.

In 2016 I climbed every single 'Birkett' in the Lake District - all 542 fells over 1,000' within the National Park, including all 214 Wainwrights. I've also done a three-week cycle tour of Tasmania in February 2015 and amongst other things, I've cycled from Land's End to John o'Groats (2003), Rotterdam to Lemvig (Denmark) (2005), walked the Pennine Way (2008) completed (my first) ascent of all 214 'Wainwrights' in the Lake District in only 55 days (2009), cycled 4,500 miles around the coast of Great Britain (2011), cycled all 42 of the accessible Western Isles of Scotland in under a month (2012), twice abseiled 230 ft from the top of The Big One in Blackpool, cycled the WWI Western Front from London to Compiegne via Ypres and Arras (2014), cycled 750 miles in the Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton (2014), done a bit of sky-diving and cycled Australia's Great Ocean Road - just before lockdown in 2020.

Altogether I've raised over £120,000 for my charities including The Christie, Cancer Research UK, the Rosemere Cancer Foundation, and ABF (The Soldiers' Charity) and I was mightily chuffed to receive the British Empire Medal in the 2014 New Year's Honours List.

I'm a Rotarian and give illustrated talks about my adventures in exchange for a donation to charity, so if you're looking for a speaker leave me a message. I am also Event Organiser for the Ribble Valley Ride Cycle Sportive, to be held this year on Sunday 5 September 2021 - more details at www.ribblevalleyride.org

You can also follow me on Twitter - @CancerBikeMan and on Facebook - just search for Bill Honeywell

Cancer Research UK is the world's leading charity dedicated to beating cancer through research, whilst The Rosemere does fantastic work for patients in Lancashire and South Cumbria.

Saturday 2 July 2011

Day 51 – Hope Cove to Boswinger near Mevagissey

75 miles; total 3,297 miles

Sorry, but the signal is so bad here that I can't get any more photos on - if it comes back I'll try again! But for now there are just three I'm afraid.

A spectacular day, with views and villages to die for – but at a cost – 7,000 ft of climbing!  And a surprise meeting with an old friend from Lancashire.



















Roger and Dianne

Last night’s luxurious stay with Roger and Dianne Lewis was very much appreciated, but this morning it was back to business as usual with an early morning start along the narrow Devon lanes to the small town of Modbury.  A young lady jogger appeared out of a side street and then overtook me on the steep climb out of the village, which seemed a bit embarrassing at first, but as she turned off near the top she stopped, holding her sides, as soon as she thought she was out of sight!



















It didn’t take long to get to Plymouth where we had a stop on a Morrison’s car park, after which I visited The Hoe and then found the Cremyll Ferry, an 85-year old vessel which still makes the crossing every half hour with up to 157 passengers. Today, most of them were Spanish schoolchildren from Madrid.  I had a chat with one or two but my Spanish must not have been too good as they didn’t seem to want to say much.  Perhaps they just thought I was too old to talk to!































Rame

When I got off the ferry I was in Cornwall! After a short climb I was on the south coast again, on the spectacular Whitsand Bay – superb views from the road high above the sea, with fantastic scenery which doesn’t seem to suffer too much from the large number of old, shabby-looking holiday homes.
































The now familiar pattern was beginning again - a long drop down to a seaside town or village followed by a long climb up again. In Downderry I was passed by 50 or 60 cyclists going the other way, all in matching kit.  When I got to Looe, the van was there with new crew – Ian Hardy and Richard Dugdale.  Val and Alan had already set off (not even a goodbye kiss – from Val, I mean) and were to make it back home by 6.30 this evening after a trouble-free run.
































Daphne du Maurier's house


















CancerBikeMan meets PeterthePeddler


More narrow lanes to the car ferry from Bodinnick to Fowey.  Daphne du Maurier used to live at Bodinnick (that’s her house in the picture).  A figure on the jetty at Fowey was waving – I presumed at someone else on the ferry – but when I got off I saw it was my old pal Peter Cocker – I had no idea he was coming to meet me, but he said he was having a few days holiday, visiting the Eden Project, and thought he’d come and say hello. Absolutely excellent!

Par remains quite industrial, with the china clay industry, and just after, I made a little detour to have a look at the picturesque Charlestown, location for many a sea-faring film or TV series.



















There remained 10 or 12 miles to the caravan site at Boswinger, south of Mevagissey: not far off the hilliest 12 miles of the whole journey!  What a rollercoaster!  Through Pentewan, Mevagissey, Port Mellon, Gorran Haven and finally the beach at Penare, the road dropped precipitously each time only to rise on the other side even more steeply each time.  Climbing Foxholes Lane out of Gorran Haven I thought my lungs would burst!  But by way of compensation each village was so pretty, and the scenery in between so spectacular, that it was well worth it.

At last the agony and the ecstacy were over - with a promise of more to come tomorrow before I get to Helston, via Britain’s most southerly point, the Lizard. (And the day after, I turn the corner at Land’s End and start heading for home – Whahay!)

Donations keep coming in, I’m glad to say, but there’s lots of room for more – please do your bit for Cancer Research by following the links at the top of this page!

No comments:

Post a Comment