I'm a double cancer survivor, cyclist and walker who does various challenges for different charities, mainly cancer-related.

In 2016 I climbed every single 'Birkett' in the Lake District - all 542 fells over 1,000' within the National Park, including all 214 Wainwrights. I've also done a three-week cycle tour of Tasmania in February 2015 and amongst other things, I've cycled from Land's End to John o'Groats (2003), Rotterdam to Lemvig (Denmark) (2005), walked the Pennine Way (2008) completed (my first) ascent of all 214 'Wainwrights' in the Lake District in only 55 days (2009), cycled 4,500 miles around the coast of Great Britain (2011), cycled all 42 of the accessible Western Isles of Scotland in under a month (2012), twice abseiled 230 ft from the top of The Big One in Blackpool, cycled the WWI Western Front from London to Compiegne via Ypres and Arras (2014), cycled 750 miles in the Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton (2014), done a bit of sky-diving and cycled Australia's Great Ocean Road - just before lockdown in 2020.

Altogether I've raised over £120,000 for my charities including The Christie, Cancer Research UK, the Rosemere Cancer Foundation, and ABF (The Soldiers' Charity) and I was mightily chuffed to receive the British Empire Medal in the 2014 New Year's Honours List.

I'm a Rotarian and give illustrated talks about my adventures in exchange for a donation to charity, so if you're looking for a speaker leave me a message. I am also Event Organiser for the Ribble Valley Ride Cycle Sportive, to be held this year on Sunday 5 September 2021 - more details at www.ribblevalleyride.org

You can also follow me on Twitter - @CancerBikeMan and on Facebook - just search for Bill Honeywell

Cancer Research UK is the world's leading charity dedicated to beating cancer through research, whilst The Rosemere does fantastic work for patients in Lancashire and South Cumbria.

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Day 26 – Stonehaven – Carnoustie – (Part One)

51 miles, total 1,714 miles

It’s four weeks since I set off from Clitheroe, and a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then. Literally, considering the amount of rain we had – but (although it’s pouring down as I write this) the last few days have been kind. In fact for much of this afternoon I had a pleasant tailwind with the result that today’s average speed was the highest of the whole ride. Don’t get excited – 12.5 mph – but there’s lots of stopping for looking at scenery, taking photos and doing other things that you can guess without me having to tell you.


















Yesterday’s blog was a bit rushed – but it was nice to get a visit from a fellow Clitheronian in the shape of David Berryman, who works in the Aberdeen-based oil industry. We went to The Ship Inn, where I saw a very pretty part of Stonehaven and drank a whole pint of… orange and lemonade.

Some other things to report from last night. All day I was aware of a noise from the front tyre which sounded like there was some chewing gum stuck to it which you could hear on every revolution of the wheel. But could I find what it was?  Eventually I found some unevenness in the tyre and, unable to find anything else, fitted a new one. This morning I was pleased to find that the noise had gone. Whether or not it was a problem I don’t know, but presumably the tyre carcass must have been damaged in some way so – better safe than sorry.


















We were transfixed last night when a big ‘RV’ arrived at the site and proceeded to level itself up (look at the wheels off the ground) and then expand sideways as hydraulic bay windows and all sorts of other paraphernalia were brought into action.  Maybe an idea for next time, although I dread to think how much it would cost if a tree fell on that!

Then we were mesmerised by Peter’s granddaughter (age 13), who made a video on YouTube of Train’s “Hey Soul Sister” which is so professional and entertaining – and she is clearly enjoying herself too – have a look, you’ll love it!


Right – that’s last night sorted out!  The next blog will be about today, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment