I'm a double cancer survivor, cyclist and walker who does various challenges for different charities, mainly cancer-related.

In 2016 I climbed every single 'Birkett' in the Lake District - all 542 fells over 1,000' within the National Park, including all 214 Wainwrights. I've also done a three-week cycle tour of Tasmania in February 2015 and amongst other things, I've cycled from Land's End to John o'Groats (2003), Rotterdam to Lemvig (Denmark) (2005), walked the Pennine Way (2008) completed (my first) ascent of all 214 'Wainwrights' in the Lake District in only 55 days (2009), cycled 4,500 miles around the coast of Great Britain (2011), cycled all 42 of the accessible Western Isles of Scotland in under a month (2012), twice abseiled 230 ft from the top of The Big One in Blackpool, cycled the WWI Western Front from London to Compiegne via Ypres and Arras (2014), cycled 750 miles in the Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton (2014), done a bit of sky-diving and cycled Australia's Great Ocean Road - just before lockdown in 2020.

Altogether I've raised over £120,000 for my charities including The Christie, Cancer Research UK, the Rosemere Cancer Foundation, and ABF (The Soldiers' Charity) and I was mightily chuffed to receive the British Empire Medal in the 2014 New Year's Honours List.

I'm a Rotarian and give illustrated talks about my adventures in exchange for a donation to charity, so if you're looking for a speaker leave me a message. I am also Event Organiser for the Ribble Valley Ride Cycle Sportive, to be held this year on Sunday 5 September 2021 - more details at www.ribblevalleyride.org

You can also follow me on Twitter - @CancerBikeMan and on Facebook - just search for Bill Honeywell

Cancer Research UK is the world's leading charity dedicated to beating cancer through research, whilst The Rosemere does fantastic work for patients in Lancashire and South Cumbria.

Tuesday 21 June 2011

Day 40 – Wormingford to Canewdon near Rochford

63 miles; total 2,642 miles

Some days are packed with excitement.  Some days aren’t.  So it’s a good job today started in the convivial surroundings of last night’s hosts, Margaret and Adrian Rose, near Colchester. Along with my trusty support crew (Tony Spencer and Simon Clarke) I was given a great welcome, a delicious evening meal, comfy beds and a hearty breakfast.  AND… lots of food to take with us. Margaret (and Adrian) you’re an absolute star!




















The funny thing is I’d never met either of them before – Margaret found out about me solely through Twitter and offered to do something to help.  So that’s a fine example of the benefit of the new internet revolution.  Wait until You-Tube, Twitter and Facebook are all amalgamated into one giant social networking site – called You Twit Face.
































Maldon

After dragging myself away, I retraced my steps to Colchester and from then on, to be honest, it was a rather unexciting day, battling against a strong headwind, following roads through Abberton, Great Wigborough and Tolleshunt d’Arcy to Maldon, where, after a coffee and sandwich on the Tesco car park, I found myself negotiating the steepest hill since Scarborough.  Nearby is the site of the Battle of Maldon which took place in 991 in the reign of King Ethelred the Unready between the Anglo-Saxon Earl Byrthnoth and his men, and the Vikings, led by Olaf Tryggvason. The Anglo-Saxons were utterly defeated (a bit like modern international football) and as a result England began to pay Danegeld – kind of protection money - to the Vikings.

















Southminster

South of Maldon I made a foray east to Southminster and back via Burnham-on-Crouch, passing a large vineyard on the way back towards South Woodham Ferrers, which has a very busy by-pass!



















From here the road to Battlebridge crosses the River Crouch and then I expected to enter a quiet, agricultural area, but instead I found houses and bungalows dotted along the road almost everywhere from Hullbridge to the outskirts of Ashingdon and on to Canewdon (named, if the village sign is anything to go by, after King Canute). The road ends on Wallasea Island and here the Riverside Caravan Site enjoys a great location as our venue for tonight.






























From the bridge at Battlebridge


















Camp for the night

Today is 21 June, the Summer Solstice, the Longest Day. Tomorrow, as the nights start to draw in once more, I’ll hopefully cross the Thames at the Tilbury - Gravesend foot ferry, then on to Whitstable, famous for its oysters. I won’t be having any, but I might allow myself a congratulatory beer for getting to the south-east proper, the Garden of England. But tonight we’re having lasagne, courtesy of Margaret (we just need to warm it up). And the boys tell me there’s a pub not too far away…

No comments:

Post a Comment